Open KML File
File extension KML is most commonly used to refer to a Keyhole Markup Language file. KML files are primarily used to store geographical information in a standard XML format which is used by Google Earth. The KML file extension is also used to store emulator keyboard configuration information for a number of HP calculators, though these are fairly uncommon.
Keyhole Markup Language was originally created by a software company called Keyhole Inc for use with Keyhole Earth Viewer, which later became Google Earth following Google's acquisition of Keyhole Inc in 2004. The KML file format was developed specifically to store geographical information and annotations which could be overlaid on maps. KML files contain a longitude and latitude as well as place markers, polygon shapes, images and text which can be used to illustrate or label a specific place or area on a map. Additional information, such as camera angle and altitude as well as linked textured 3D objects can also be stored for use with 3D earth browsing software. KML files allow developers to create customised layers of information which can be overlaid on existing maps for illustration or abstraction purposes.
The KML format has been accepted by the Open Geospatial Consortium as an open standard for use in geographical browsers, and is currently used by a number of websites and applications including Google Earth, Google Maps, Microsoft Virtual Earth, EarthSpector GIS and Geomedia amongst others.
You can open KML files using several applications including Google Earth or Keyhole PRO, both of which are available on Windows and Mac platforms. 3D modeling software such as Blender, an open source suite of 3D creation tools, and Google Sketchup are also capable of opening KML files with the appropriate plug-ins for use with 3D geobrowsers such as Google Earth.
Open KML File on Windows OS
- Find a KML file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the KML file in question.
- If you know the application which can open KML file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open KML file then try to search for "KML wiki", "application to open KML file" or "KML file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open KML file
Rate this page: 4/5 based on 20 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open KML files, file extension kml and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...